Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 2011 - Stem Cell Collection - Day 2

Back at the hospital today for a second round of stem cell collection. Correction from yesterday - goal is to collect 4 - 6 million stem cells. Yesterday I collected 3.59 million, so we were summonsed to return today. It is better to be close to the 6 million, so we are hoping for another 3 million today.

Concerned about platelets since this process also reduces the platelet count. According to this mornings CBC, platelets were down to 50; anything below 25 will require a platelet transfusion. Though it is a concern it is not unexpected, we will find out more this afternoon.

Found out more today about platelet donations, according to the blood bank platelets donated by a relative respond better in my body, but I can use any platelets regardless of blood type. Besides today, I know I will need platelets while in the hospital and platelets only last 5 days once donated. Platelets have to donated at Rush, anyone interested in donating e-mail me and I can provide more information. Platelet donations do take a while to extract, up to three hours.

3 comments:

  1. Tim
    Whenever you need platelets, let me know where, when and I will be ready to give. Glad you were able to get the collection done in 2 days. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy a few days with the girls and do something fun.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, I can certainly donate platelets. Let me know when would be the best time. I assume maybe sometime next week. Do you need any now? Let me know all the details; we can talk on Sunday. If you think of this ordeal as a process with a checklist, you can check off another completed item-I'm glad you don't have to go back down for another long day today.
    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom and Steph - not exactly sure yet when I will need platelets, I will find out more Monday when I meet with the doctor. Did not need any platelets yesterday, though my count did drop to 29, they feel the platelets should rebound quickly at this time.

    ReplyDelete