Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 2011 - Day +7

Well things are getting harder rather than easier, I seem to be spiraling down still. The nausea was the worst yesterday evening, I would have expected it to get better rather than worse, but I guess that is not the case. The nausea this morning is no better and I am waiting for some more anti-nausea medicine to be delivered.

Counts still dropping, waiting for those baby stem cells to setup shop and start being productive.

WBC - .13
Hemoglobin - 9.8
Platelets - 61

Interesting story about platelets. There are two types of stem cell transplants:
- Auto - Where one's own stem cells are used
- Allo - Where a donors stem cells are used.

My transplant is an Auto, but if for some reason Auto transplant does not work then next step would be to do an Allo transplant. With Allo transplants, the best chance of getting a donor is from a sibling. Here is were the possible issue comes in with platelets. Both of my sisters donated platelets and had them directed to me. I was talking to a nurse one evening and she stated if I received platelets from my sister, there would be a good chance if I ever needed an Allo transplant they could no longer be donors for that. I brought this up to the doctor and she had several discussions with other people and I guess there are two schools of thought. So to be safe I will not be using my sisters platelets, if I do need a platelet transfusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment