Friday, July 1, 2011

July 2011 - Final Preperation for SCT

Back at the hospital yesterday, final preparations for the stem cell transplant. Received a tour of the blood donation center where my stem cells will be extracted. Saw the unit where I will be staying and met the Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners. The rooms are very small. Seeing the hospital ward made everything feel so real.

It is hard to accept all of this when I really don't feel bad and actually being off the steroid for a week and 5 days I feel much more awake and less moody/cranky. Today I have to say I actually felt great.

Also met with the transplant doctor, I have to say he is so positive. He confirmed I am in complete remission and stated only about 25% of people get to complete remission before the Stem Cell Transplant. I asked if I was in complete remission why is a SCT needed. His response was two fold: 1. If I continue on the drugs I am on eventually I would incur nerve damage and my quality of life would suffer. 2. He stated we have to use all the weapons available just like the military, the induction therapy was like the air force and the SCT will be like sending in the ground troops. He stated to win the war we have to use all available divisions of the military.

I passed all the tests done 2 weeks ago, and insurance has given verbal approval, so it is all systems GO.

Things start rolling next week, with surgery for the central line on Thursday July 7th. Wednesday July 6th will be my last day of work for a while, they keep telling me I will be off for 3 months. Thursday will also mark the start of my Neupogen shots, Jane will receive her honoree Nursing certificate, since she will be giving me the shots every morning at 7:00 am for at least 4 days. The shots are given in the stomach. More details on the stem cell collection process next week, maybe even some pictures.

Just gave Jane a crash course on how to create a blog entry, so she can keep everyone up to date if my energy is zapped at anytime during this process.

4 comments:

  1. Tim,
    Good luck tomorrow (07/07/2011). My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I am confident that everything will go great.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, Emma and I are both off work tomorrow. Is there anything you need help with? I know all will go well for you. we"ll be thinking of you. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and hoping all goes well tomorrow! Love you guys!
    Greg, Bobbie, & Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, your thoughts and prayers pushed me through another phase. All went well and I am back home.

    ReplyDelete