Nice day today, the weather was good and was able to get out for a walk. The last couple days have been pretty good. Though Jane is suffering from a toothache and will have a root canal done tomorrow (Thursday), she is having a tougher time than me right now. She is in a lot of pain and on antibiotics, which gave her the chills in the middle of the night last night.
Had a call today from the Patient Coordinator from the Hospital that will be doing the Stem Cell Transplant (SCT), and have some updated information. I will complete Cycle 4 of my treatments in the Middle of June. The Patient Coordinator states the SCT usually occurs 6-8 weeks after the last treatment cycle. So, here is a tentative schedule on how things will occur. After cycle 4 is complete, it will be test time. Another bone marrow aspiration, heart test, lung test, blood tests, skeletal survery...and any other tests the insurance company requires. All of these tests can be done at the local hospital. Then around the beginning of July I will meet with the involved parties at the hospital. At this time the hospital will also submit all the necessary paperwork to the insurance company for approval. This sets the SCT process to start around the middle to end of July.
Below is some additional information from the Patient Coordinator:
- While in the hospital I will get to walk the halls 4 times a day
- Most people are only in the hospital two and half weeks
- Only one day / dose of high chemo, possibly as out patient then check into the hospital the next day to start the proces.
- I can bring my computer and the hospital has wireless Internet access.
I have had a lot of offers of blood donations in my name (thanks for all the offers), so I brought this up with the patient coordinator, and only platelets can be directed to a patient. Platelets only have a 5 day shelf life and would have to be donated directly at the hospital. There is some type of virus check against the platelets and if the donator has had a virus that I have not, then they can't be used (I think I understood this right).
No comments:
Post a Comment