Not much new to report in the last couple days. I had an INR blood test this morning to check my pro time levels to see how the blood thiner is working. Levels are right where the doctors want them (2.3). Won't have to have that checked for another week and a half. The phlebotomist at the outpatient facility really bruised my arm today; though it might not be her fault; I wonder if it has anything to do with my low platelet counts.
Heading back to the clinic on Thursday for another CBC, hoping my numbers continue to rise. Jane has me on house arrest until my numbers get better. I only get to go for car rides and wait in the car. That is okay because I really don't want to catch anything, the fever I had the first week was no fun, it completely wiped me out for a day.
Seem to be loosing my voice today, not sure what that is about. Though I did have a small bloody noise yesterday and was afraid to blow my noise all day yesterday, which might have something to do with my voice. If it is not better tomorrow I will be calling the doctor to make sure it is nothing to be concerned about.
Unfortunately, a combination of a highly therapeutic INR and low platelets means you're going to bruise pretty easily even with a good phlebotomist. If you dislike the brusing, there are ways to help prevent it (although nothing is 100%). Make sure that you (or the phlebotomist) applies STRONG direct pressure with gauze immediately after the needle is removed and hold it there until it no longer bleeds or bruises even when the gauze is taken away. If bleeding is tough to stop, try raising your arm above your head while holding pressure. Also, if they're using a bandaid or tape, ask if they have any "pressure-dressing" or "pressure-tape" (brand name: Coban), which can help maintain pressure better than a normal bandage after you leave the lab.
ReplyDeleteI hope that helps :)
Thanks for the tips Jonathan.
ReplyDelete