Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 2011 - My Second Job

Who knew I had more than one job, well my second job I don't get paid for in dollars, but have other rewards.

I have found out this week that no matter how much insurance pays the doctors it is still my job to make sure the doctors talk to each other and order the tests that each other requests. I have a local hematologist (PM) who administers treatments and performs monthly checkups. I have a transplant doctor at Rush (HF) that will perform the actual transplant. I also have patient coordinator (SD) at Rush, who is responsible for scheduling all tests and taking care of all logistics with the transplant.

Here is the problem and where my second job comes in. SD sent PM a letter on May 12th listing all the tests that need to be done before I can proceed to Rush. SD called me one week ago last Thursday to see how things were going in cycle 4 and stated she was scheduling some pre-transplant tests for Friday June 17th at Rush. These tests are done to make sure my heart, lungs, kidneys...are healthy enough for a transplant. SD stated she would call me back on Friday or the Tuesday after Memorial Day. Well Thursday rolled around last week at still no call from SD, so I called her. Things are all set for June 17th, and she wanted to know if I had my tests scheduled that needed done locally with PM. These tests are used to stage the disease before the transplant. Well as far as I knew nothing had been scheduled. SD stated the tests need to be done on June 13th and she needed the results by June 20th. I had to go to PM's office Friday for a treatment, so I checked to see if the tests had been scheduled. Well at first glance at my file I was told they had not received the letter from SD. Then they tracked down the doctor and found he had the letter, but nothing had been scheduled and no orders had been placed for the tests. PM assured me he would place the orders and that I could schedule the tests next week at the local hospital, which I plan to do Monday morning. I have my fingers crossed that PM follows through in a timely manner.

Here is how I thought the above would happen. SD would contact PM. PM would schedule the tests and call me with the dates and times. I guess it is my job to make sure the tests are scheduled and scheduled on time.

The other thing SD told me is we are sticking to the dates she had originally gave me and starting July 7th I should plan to be off for 3 months.

3 comments:

  1. Tim, Thanks for the info on RBC. It is outrageous that Rush and LaGrange cannot get their act together. These people are supposed to be professionals. I guess the old adage is true: "If you want something done right etc". I have a couple thoughts. Does LaGrange have a patient coordinator? Is Rush sending the information to the right person at LaGrange. I hate to even suggest it because it should not be your job but would it help if you setup a Tracking Sheet and kept tabs on the stuff going back and forth, scheduling etc. You could ask each of them to copy you on everything going back and forth. Roughly something like:

    1-Rush sent letter to LaGrange on May 12th listing all the tests that need to be done before I can proceed to Rush. 2-LaGrange Received 05/12/11 letter from Rush.
    3-LaGrange Scheduled Required Tests T1, T2 T3 etc.
    4-LaGrange Tests T1, T2, T3 etc Completed and Results sent to Rush by 06/16/11.
    5-Begin pre-transplant tests Friday 06/17/11 at Rush.
    You could send the Tracking Sheet status to each of them.
    Tim, Take care, our thoughts are with you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    On a fresh day on re-reading my last comments I think I got a bit carried away on Tracking. Anyway you probably got the general idea of what I was suggesting.
    Dad

    Have you met the other Transplant doctors on your team at Rush? I was wondering If you will get a chance to meet the one in the rotation for your transplant before the time of?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad - Regarding tracking, I am sending a list of the tests done by the local doctor to Rush so they can cross check that all the tests they requested are done.

    I have not met the transplant doctor that will be on rotation, I believe I will meet with this doctor on June 30th.

    ReplyDelete