Things seem to be moving fast, and the stem cell transplant is approaching quickly now. I had another bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday of this week, won't get the test results until next week, at least I hope to get the results next week. I have an appointment with the local doctor on Monday 6/20.
Getting ready to spend the day in the city tomorrow (Friday 6/17) for a full day of testing. I need to arrive at the hospital by 7:00 am. The day looks something like this:
7:00 Register, vitals and blood draw
8:00 Pulonary Function Test
9:00 Psychosocial Consult
10:00 Chest Xray
10:30 EKG
11:15 Surgery consult (for central line)
1:00 Muga Scan
2:30 Consent signing and tour of bone marrow transplant unit
4:00 Back on the road home, just in time for rush hour on Friday.
What is a central line you ask? Of all of the stuff I have to go through in the next month the central line and the high dose Chemo are my two least favorites. The central line is a catheter they will surgically implant in my neck / chest. They will put this in on July 7th and hopefully remove it when I am released from the hospital.
Once the central line is in place, it is used to extract the stem cells, blood draws, administer medications and to put the stem cells back. I am sure there are other purposes also.
Well if you read my last post you understand how I am know the patient liaison between the local doctor and the stem cell transplant doctor. It even gets more interesting, I had a list 13 blood tests that were ordered last week, the blood was drawn at the local hospital. Well it seems the hospital did at least one test in in error (a test that was not on my orders, who pays for this one?) and missed a few tests that were on the orders. I wondered why there was 13 tests and only 8 vials of blood, maybe the blood can be shared among tests or maybe not. Rush will draw the blood tomorrow for the missing and tests done in error? I feel I need to have my orders with me and ask the Phlebotomist what each tube of blood is for. Do you think this stuff happens all the time, kind of scary when your life depends on the tests they are doing.
Well I will post an update after tomorrows visit.

No comments:
Post a Comment