Here we go, last induction cycle. It was questionable if cycle 4 would be done due to my good response to the treatment so far, but the decision was made to move forward. The idea is since I don't have many side effects, why not try and beat it down as much as possible.
Met with the local doctor today, he was in a very upbeat mood, cracking jokes and very attentive and not rushed. He told me due to number of questions I normally have, he blocks out 30 minutes for me rather than the normal 15 minutes. That was nice to hear. He was also very concerned about the patient coordinator at Rush not following through and doing what she tells us she is going to do. She was to already contact the local doctor and has not...concerned. Makes second guess my decision to go to Rush for such an important procedure.
Though the doctor did not have all the blood test results from some of Fridays blood test, which I don't understand why they can't get these tests done in time for my scheduled visits. One of the most important aspects of our visit is to discuss the results. So we discussed some of the test results that he did not have from the last visit at the end of cycle 2. Which were all very good. I can't get the doctor to say I am in complete remission, he likes to use the term partial complete remission. Though I think he is holding out for the bone marrow biopsy, which will probably be done in about 3 weeks. If that comes back with 10% or less plasma cells then I might be in complete remission, which is a good place to be in before the stem cell transplant. All in all very positive news, I have to say this is the first time the local doctor gave us hope.
I follow some other blog posts of people with Myeloma, and found a gentleman by the name of Nick who lives in California and receives treatment at the University Medical Center Arkansas, a well known Myeloma treatment center. I had researched and weighed my options of going there myself. Nick is similar in age and has already gone through a stem cell transplant, he is a wealth of information. I have trade e-Mails with him and he answers all my questions, seems to be a great guy. He posted on his blog how UMAS prescribes more of the Revlimid drug than anyone else in the world and the drug is very promising. That is one of the drugs I have been taking and will most likely be on a reduced dose for maintenance therapy after the stem cell transplant.
The doctor made the comment today that I looked physically good and similar to Stephanie's comment people who see me probably can't tell I am sick or going through treatments. They are both right. Other than getting tired at times, I pretty much can do what I want, or should I say anything the boss (Jane) feels is safe. Yard work requires gloves, touch anything or anyone the hand sanitizer comes out. She opens doors for me; which by the way makes me feel like a looser; but I understand why she does it. Hands are the number way germs are passed.
Well back to Iowa tomorrow morning for work, time to get to bed for hopefully a good night sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment