Well I started my medications today, so far so good (knock on wood). I had 11 pills to take this morning and then to the hospital at 1:00 for the IV drug. The IV drug was administered by a wonderful nurse at La Grange Oncology in the professional offices at Delnor hospital. La Grange Oncology is where my hematologist practices out of. The nurse was so attentive and caring answering any question and taking her time. I did not know exactly what to expect, I thought I would be hooked up to an IV and have some type of drip for 30 minutes.
First the nurse takes My vitals; blood pressure, temperature, pulse and oxygen level. Blood pressure was actually good for me, I have decided whenever Jane is by my side she has a calming affect. Next the nurse takes the time to answer any questions we have, then she is off to get the medications ready. She comes back with a tray of stuff, all kinds of stuff in this tray. I am beginning to wonder what is all this stuff and what is she going to do with it. I later decide this is just her "toolbox", every good mechanic needs a toolbox and today she was my mechanic and she was about to repair a 42 year old classic. Then she states she is going to use a butterfly needle and I ask what is that. She replies it is a small needle. She then checks my right arm for viens and notices I had blood drawn from that arm earlier in the day. She then checks the left arms and decides to use this arm. She puts the butterfly needle in, feels like a pinch no worse than a blood draw. Then she plugs in a siringe of medication and tells me it is an anti-nausea drug. She unplugs that siringe and plugs in a siringe of saline and runs that into my veins. The final step was the actual medication, which was again just a siringe of medication. All of a sudden the nurse notices I have a rash on my neck extending down my chest and back, she begins to wonder if I am having a reaction from the medications. Jane then tells me something I never knew, she states I do get a rash such as that when I am nervous. The nurse decides the doctor should take a look at the rash and checks to see if he is available. When the nurse returns; less than two minutes; the rash is gone. The doctor is no longer needed and I was done, all in about fifteen minutes (not counting the question and answer session).
All in all today was a much better day than I expected, I need to quit over thinking everything and live in the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment