Monday, September 1, 2014

MMRF 5k walk / run

Well it has been quite a while since my last post.  I have been running on cruise control for the last several months.  My monthly bloods tests and quarterly doctor visits have been going well.  At my last doctor visit my doctor said I was in great shape.  I changed from taking my maintenance chemo from mornings to evenings which has had a good improvement on my overall energy levels.  I had an issue with my potassium levels, which seemed to have been impacted by my 2 mile walk from the train station in Chcicao to NW hospital to have my blood draw (self analysis at this time and not confirmed by my doctors). No complaints at this time, I hope I can continue on cruise control for a long time into the future.

It is September, and that means it is time for the MMRF 5k walk / run.  My family has participated in the MMRF 5k Chicago for the last two years, this will be our third year.  The past two years we have walked the 5k, this year I will be running the 5k with the hopes of completing the 5k in under 30 minutes.  Thanks for everyone's support to the MMRF this year and the past years.  There is still time to join Team Brinker.  Is there a better way to spend a Sunday other than in the city of Chicago and walking or running along the lake shore.  I know it is football season, if you walk fast enough you can be home or in a bar before the first kickoff.  The 5k kicks off at Lincoln Park Zoo on the beautiful north side of Chicago.


Here is a great video the MMRF put together for the race for research, it is worth watching.


In hopes to raise additional money for the MMRF, the Brinker family designed and made leather wristbands.  I purchased all the supplies and the family donated time to create the wristbands.  I am selling the wristbands for $10 and donating all the money to the MMRF.  The wristbands are for sale on Etsy. We have 3 designs.  All wristbands have insperational words, one style has studs, another style has the sun and moon (see the description on Etsy regarding the sun and moon) and the third design has the sun, moon and maroon cancer ribbons.  You can save on shipping costs if you are local or will be coming into town I will be sure to get one to you.




The ALS ice bucket challenge was a great idea for a great cause.  ALS is a terrible incurable deabilitating disease and I am happy they raised so much funding and awareness.  We can't forget many other incurable diseases that all need the same attention and money as ALS.  Here is my challenge, if you did or did not do the ice bucket challenge,  my challenge is that you donate $10 to any cause that is close to your heart.  No ice bucket, no shivers just a simple writing of a check to any charity of your choice.

Don't forget, September is also blood cancer awareness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment